Photo: 13 of 147, Album: Saint Croix, USVI 2006
Fort Christiansvaern. Looking towards the east. Built of masonry and yellow Danish brick that came to the islands as ballast in sailing ships, this fort took shape between 1738 and 1749 over the ruins of a French bastion. It is a four-point citadel and the best preserved of the five Danish forts in the West Indies.