Previous   Up   Next
Photo: 32 of 63, Album: Grand Turk 2007
The Crofton Coverly House. Mr. William Burton Astwood built this house in the 1870s, yet he never lived in it himself. Currently it is occupied by his grandson. The name Astwood, like Coverly, Hawkins and Grant, is an old Grand Turk family name of a one-time salt merchant and proprietor. Mr. Astwood was the foremost importer and seller of liquor of his day. This property was acquired by Mr. Crofton’s father who was the local money-lender of the day. From here he sold various hardware items such as paint, iron rods and even boats.

The Crofton Coverly House [Click for larger picture (1936 × 1296)]